Master of Health Science (MHSc) in Medical Physiology
Why Choose the MHSc in Medical Physiology?
A near-infinite amount of data is generated by clinicians at the bedside, researchers at the bench, and emergent health technologies every single day.
But who can interpret that data and render it relevant for use?
The MHSc in Medical Physiology was specially designed to address this rapidly emerging need. The MHSc is a course-based, professional masters that is twelve months in length and led by our world-class faculty, as well as lecturers from the Rotman School of Management. The program culminates with a practicum in an industry, hospital, or government setting.
This unique combination of coursework and hands-on experience ensures our graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills sought by today’s competitive health-related workforce.
Round 1: February 14th 2020
Round 2: May 1st 2020
See below for further details and requirements.
The MHSc in Medical Physiology is a full-time program for three terms (total of twelve months) with one point of entry each September.
The Fall and Winter Terms are comprised of six Core Courses plus three electives of your choice.
Our internationally recognized faculty offer expertise in endocrine, cardiovascular, neuroscience, and metabolic areas.
Easily customize the program to suit your own unique interests.
- Graduate Professional Development and Seminars
- Mentored Literature Review Project in Physiology
- Clinical Physiology
- Big Data and Health
- Collaboration and Commercialization in Physiology
- Three elective courses
The Summer Term is comprised of a hands-on practicum (details below.)
The practicum is a unique chance to integrate work and learning in a field that interests you.
Spend the Summer Term applying knowledge gained from your course-work in a business, clinical, research, or other relevant setting.
Develop your practical and professional skills and attain valuable work experience.
Guidance is offered throughout the program to find a placement that suits your interests and strengths.
Graduates will obtain a knowledge and skill set that enables them to:
- Project manage multi-investigator research teams
- Bring new scientific discoveries to market
- Develop technology skills for commercial success
- Usefully interpret big data sets produced by products like wearable devices
- Attain transferable skills in core competencies and professionalism to complement further training
Candidates for Admission to the MHSc program require:
- An appropriate bachelor degree (B.Sc., BKin or B.A.) from a recognized university with an average of at least A- in the last two years of study
- A completed third year level course in physiology or equivalent courses
- A demonstrated interest in physiology
- If you were educated outside Canada, your primary language is not English, and the language of instruction at your university was not English, you must demonstrate English language proficiency through the successful completion of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). You must score a minimum of 100/120 and 22/30 on the writing and speaking sections.
- Other English proficiency tests are also acceptable. Please contact us for more information.
If your candidacy is considered strong based on your application package, you will be invited to interview with the Program Director.
The purpose of this interview is to further determine your goals, your fit for the program, and potential practicum placements.
How to Apply
1st round: February 14th 2020
2nd round: May 1st 2020
Note: We are now accepting Second Round applications on a rolling basis until May 1st.
Please set up your application and pay your fee by April 15th at the latest to ensure your referees have enough time and you are able to upload all documentation in a timely manner.
Please apply using the School of Graduate Studies Online Application.
You will be required to upload:
- A one-page Statement of Intent summarizing how this program, including the practicum placement, will advance your professional goals
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Two References (Please inform your referees that you are submitting an application and that SGS will contact them by email, then submit your referees' contact information to your SGS Online Application.)
- Electronic or scanned transcripts (with legends & grading scales) from each post-secondary institution attended
- Certified English translations of all documentation written in a language other than English or French
Note: Applicants who are given a conditional offer of admission will be required to provide an official paper transcript in a sealed envelope from all institutions attended in order to meet the conditions for registration.