How to Apply
Do you meet all the admission requirements for the MSc or PhD program?
Then you are ready to apply!
All applications require:
- School of Graduate Studies Online Application; application fee paid
- 1-2 page Autobiographical Essay
- At least two Letters of Reference
- Current CV
- Proof of English Proficiency if applicable
Carefully read the steps below for details on each component.
Make sure you leave enough time to complete each step by the appropriate Application and Document Deadlines.
Find out additional information for International applicants here.
Please note: Incomplete applications will not be reviewed, so make sure you have submitted everything you need.
1. Complete the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) Online Admission Application
- Apply through our application system.
- Once you have paid the SGS application fee, you will be able to upload your required documents to your application.
2. Prepare and Upload the Autobiographical Essay
Physiology's application process requires an autobiographical essay 1-2 pages in length that summarizes:
- Why you want to do research in Physiology at the University of Toronto
- Your research background, interests, and scientific aims
- Explanation of your choice of supervisor if you have one (Learn more here)
- Any special accomplishments
- Your future plans
- A brief explanation of any gaps in educational history if applicable
Upload the completed essay to your SGS Online Admission Application.
3. Organize your Letters of Reference
At least two letters of reference are required.
Preferably, these letters should be from:
- Professors who know you well enough to assess your demonstrated abilities in research and suitability for graduate work
- Professors who have taught you in science courses
To submit to SGS:
- Inform your referees that you are submitting an application and that SGS will contact them by email.
- Submit your referees' contact information to your SGS Online Application.
- PhD applicants require a Letter of Reference from the supervisor of their Master's program
- If you are enrolled in or have completed your MSc in Physiology at U of T and are applying for the PhD program, the MSc thesis defense committee's recommendation for admission to the PhD program is required.
4. Prepare and Upload Transcript and CV
- Prepare a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and upload it to the SGS Online Application.
- Upload electronic or scanned transcripts (with legends & grading scales) from each post-secondary institution you attended to your SGS Online Application.
- Appliants given a conditional offer of admission will be required to provide an official paper transcript (in a sealed envelope) from all institutions attended in order to meet the conditions for registration.
- The final official copy of the applicant's transcripts indicating that the degree has been granted must be submitted to the Department of Physiology before the student will be given a Final Offer of Admission.
- Certified English translations of all international documentation written in a language other than English or French must also be submitted.
- The Admissions Committee may defer their admission decision regarding students in the final year of undergraduate studies until all final year marks are available.
- Applicants to the PhD program may, at the discretion of the Graduate Studies Committee, be permitted to register conditionally pending proof that their MSc degree has been granted. Failure to submit such proof will result in termination of the PhD program.
- Internal applicants do not need to send original University of Toronto transcripts as ROSI print-outs are acceptable.
5. English Proficiency
If your primary language is not English, and prior degree(s) have been completed at a non-Canadian university where the language of instruction and examination was not English, you must provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of the application.
Tests must have been taken within the last 24 months of the submission of an application. Electronically reported scores should be sent directly by the testing agency to the University of Toronto (Enrolment Services). The only test for which the University of Toronto will accept paper scores is MELAB.
Physiology's English Proficiency Requirements:
|Type of test||Required minimum score|
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
Paper-based Test & TWE
Internet-based Test (iBT):
International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS)
8.0 (Academic) with at least 6.5 for each component
Cambridge English - C1: Advanced and C2: Proficiency
185 overall with at least 176 for each component
Certificate of Proficiency in English (COPE)
86 overall with at least 22 in each component and 32 in the writing component
Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)
70 minimum total with at least 60 in each part
Academic Preparation Course, International ESL Program, School of Continuing Studies, U of T
A final grade of B in Level 60