Overview of Programs
Become a physiology expert and attain deep, comprehensive knowledge of how the human body works on all levels -- from molecular to genomic to whole-organism.
This fundamental understanding is crucial to research that translates successfully from the bench to clinical applications, making our graduates sought-after members of collaborative research teams.
Research and Course-based Options
- Research-based, with an innovative, interdisciplinary approach
- Option for direct entry to PhD for exceptional undergraduates
- Fast-track your education with a May start date option
- Chance to study abroad at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden
- Course-based, professional Master's; focus on big data and healthcare
- Only 12 months in length
- Culminates in a hands-on practicum in industry, government, or healthcare
- Courses in commercialization, big data, and clinical physiology set you up for career success
World-Class Faculty and Research
From G-proteins to stem-cells; language acquisition to feeding behaviour; circadian rhythms to ADHD; our faculty are leading research on these topics and beyond. Widely published, recognized, and acknowledged, our faculty are some of the best physiologists in the world.
Physiology's research is organized into four platforms:
- Cardiovascular & Respiratory
- Endocrinology & Diabetes
- Reproduction & Development
Modern Collaborative Environment
Many of our faculty are cross-appointed to teams across the University and its affiliated hospitals. Our students are members of collaborative, inter-disciplinary teams working in some of the best-appointed labs and hospitals in the country.
Vibrant Student Life
The active and engaged Graduate Association of Students in Physiology (GASP) works hard to organize everything from pub nights and karaoke to professional development and mentorship events.
Physiology’s own podcast, Research Radio, promotes physiology literacy in a fun, accessible way and is entirely student-directed. Get involved by directing an episode, or working on the technical or promotional sides.
The University's location in diverse, cosmopolitan downtown Toronto means incredible cultural events, great food, and high-calibre entertainment are right at your doorstep.
Ready to Apply?
Learn about admission requirements, deadlines, and how to apply:
We can't wait to welcome you to Physiology at the University of Toronto!