Crisis or Support Services for Students


Staff who provide crisis or support services to students are available to discuss concerns you may have about a student. A brief consultation may help you sort out the relevant issues, explore alternative approaches, and identify other resources. Ask for a consultation:

  • if you are concerned about a student and unsure whether or not to intervene
  • if you are uncertain about how to respond to a student's request for help
  • if a student resists your efforts to assist/refer and you are uncomfortable with the situation

If your consultation questions are urgent, inform the receptionist that you are dealing with a crisis that requires immediate assistance.
Psychiatric Service, (416) 978-8070 Assessment and treatment of emotional or psychiatric concerns. Student Crisis Response Programs Coordinator, (416) 946-7111 Available to consult with staff and faculty concerned about a student in distress or difficulty.

Community Safety Coordinator, (416) 978-1485 Available to consult with students, staff and faculty concerned about issues of personal and community safety.

Assault Counselor/Educator, (416) 978-0174 Available to consult with staff and faculty concerned about issues related to assault. Campus Chaplains' Office, (416) 978-8100 University chaplains representing major world religions available for consultation on a range of issues, from religious practice to personal concerns. Coordinator of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, and Queer Programs and Resources, (416) 946-5624 Available to consult on issues of concern to the LGBTQ community. Counselor, International Student Centre, (416) 978-8774
Offers consultation on issues or concerns related to culture and ethnicity.

Emergency Situations

Students requiring immediate help because of life-threatening or severe psychological difficulties can be seen the same day during weekday office hours at:

Psychiatric Service, (416) 978-8070
Call Psychiatric Service and identify yourself and the situation to the receptionist. If it is necessary to speak to the clinician-on-call immediately, say so. The receptionist will inform the clinician-on-call, who will respond to the caller. The clinician will assess the situation and determine a course of action.

Health Service, (416) 978-8030
Caller should tell reception the matter is urgent. Reception will immediately notify a nurse, who will screen the student for care.

After Hours Emergencies

Gerstein Centre, (416) 929-5200
Free, voluntary, and confidential crisis intervention service over the phone and in-person. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Distress Centre, (416) 598-1121
Provides a 24-hour telephone crisis hotline.
University of Toronto Police, (416) 978-2222

Special Situations

In urgent situations involving students unable to secure help on their own:

Call first, then accompany the student to Psychiatric Service or Health Service.

  • Call the Gerstein Centre at (416) 929-5200 and request their mobile crisis intervention team.
  • Accompany the student to the Emergency Department at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health at the northwest corner of Huron and College. Their crisis line is (416) 535-8501.

If a student is acting in a manner, which seems likely to endanger themselves or others and is unwilling to seek help on their own, call University of Toronto Police at (416)978-2222.