Frequently Asked Questions

11. My previous studies are from outside of Canada. Do I need to take the GRE and/or English Facility Test before submitting my application?

The Department of Physiology does not require GRE scores.  However, if your primary language is not English and you graduated from a non-Canadian university where the language of instruction and examination was not English, then you must demonstrate your facility in English by successfully completing an acceptable English Facility Test (EFT).   Applicants who do not meet the English Language Facility requirement will not be admitted, even if all other requirements have been met.

12. My academic records are in language other than English. Shall I also submit English translations of my documents?

Certified English translations are required for all international documentation written in a language other than English or French.  Both the original documents and translations must be submitted in a signed and sealed envelope.

13. Do I need to have a supervisor before applying?

No, you do not need to have a supervisor before applying.  However, it is recommended that you contact prospective supervisors at the time of application.  If you have a potential supervisor, please ask the professor to write a supporting letter for your application file as well. 

14. Does the Department find students a supervisor?

No, students are responsible for finding supervision. See the Instructions on Finding a Supervisor on our website at

15. I have found a professor who has agreed to be my supervisor. What are my chances of being accepted for graduate studies?

Having found a supervisor does not guarantee acceptance for admission.  The admission decision is based on the overall evaluation of the application, including previous academic performance, letters of reference, autobiographical essay, and assessment of your qualifications.  It is recommended that your potential supervisor write a supporting letter for your application file.  The decision regarding acceptability for admission will be made by the Admissions Committee. 

15. I have found a supervisor, but s/he does not have funding. Can I work with this supervisor?

Supervisors must adhere to the Funding Policy which states that they must be able to guarantee your funding.  You cannot work with a supervisor who is not able to provide the minimum stipend.

17. I have been accepted for admission. What happens if I cannot find a supervisor in time for registration?

You may request admission deferral for a maximum of one year (12 months).  Please notify our Graduate Office in writing.  An official record of any academic study undertaken in the interim must be submitted.