What should be included in the autobiographical essay:
- A clear statement of why the applicant wants to do research in Physiology at the University of Toronto.
- Special accomplishments
- Academic interests and future plans
- Summary of strong points in academic and research background
- Applicants might also wish to include a brief explanation of a gap in educational history (i.e. medical reasons, employment, etc.)
Curriculum vitae (CV)
At least two letters of reference are required with an application to the graduate studies program. These letters will be preferably from:
- professors who know the candidate well enough to assess the student's abilities in scholarship and research, indicating the applicant's suitability for graduate work.
- professors who have taught the students in science courses
Students who are applying to the PhD program are required to have a reference letter from the supervisor of their Master's program.
* Students who are doing or have finished their MSc in the Department of Physiology applying to the PhD program will require a third reference letter from the Physiology graduate coordinator. (Please note that the MSc Thesis Defense Report will be included in the application package as well.)
You will need to supply referee contact information. The system will automatically email an electronic submission request, along with the instructions to submit a reference letter online, to each referee with a valid institutional email address after payment is made. In rare cases, if the referee has to send the reference letter and form by mail, it must arrive at the Department of Physiology in signed, sealed envelopes in order to preserve confidentiality.
To apply online, upload an electronic or scanned transcripts (with legends & grading scales) from each post-secondary institution attended. If the admissions committee determines that the file is unclear, applicants may be asked to submit an official hard copy of the transcript. In other words, you do not need to submit the official transcripts until you are requested.
Applicants who are given a conditional offer of admission will be required to provide an official paper transcript (in sealed envelope) from all institutions attended in order to meet the conditions for registration. The final official copy of the applicant's transcripts indicating that the degree has been granted must be submitted to the Department of Physiology before the student will be given a Final Offer of Admission.
Certified English translations of all international documentation written in a language other than English or French must also be submitted.
Please note that the Admissions Committee may defer their decision about admitting a student who is in the final year of undergraduate studies until all final year marks are available.
Applicants to the PhD program may, at the discretion of the Graduate Studies Committee, be permitted to register conditionally pending proof that their MSc degree has been granted. Failure to submit such proof will result in termination of the PhD program.
Note: Internal applicants do not need to send original University of Toronto transcripts as ROSI print-outs are acceptable.