2016-17 Graduate Stimulus Package
The Department of Physiology is pleased to announce the sixth annual 'Graduate Stimulus Package'. This initiative is intended to encourage members of the Graduate Department of Physiology to accept new MSc or PhD students into their laboratories. The terms of this program are as follows:
- Up to 20 laboratories will receive a $10,000 grant each towards the stipend of a new graduate student who is enrolling in the 2016-17 academic year (limited to 1 year). PI with students who start in 2017 should apply for next year’s competition.
- Awards will be limited to one per laboratory except under exceptional circumstances.
- Students must be accepted by the Department and registered into the Graduate program (including the signed graduate student-supervisor agreement) by August 26, 2016 to be considered.
- Students with major awards will likely be exlcuded from this competition.
- Final decisions on fund allocation will be made by the Graduate Studies Committee .
To be eligible, the laboratory of the principle investigator must be in 'good standing' in the Graduate Department of Physiology, with criteria for 'good standing ' to include:
- On-time submission of annual reports by current graduate students in the laboratory
- Routine meetings with the graduate supervisory committees (e.g. 1-2 per year) for current graduate students in the laboratory
- Attendance of a minimum of 8 departmental seminars per year by current graduate students in the laboratory
- Participation in Research Platform activities by current graduate students in the laboratory
- Reasonable thesis completion times for out-going graduate students in the laboratory (e.g. 2 years for MSc students and 4-5 years for PhD students).
If the number of eligible laboratories exceeds the number of available grants, then the students will be ranked based upon their academic achievements, as included in their graduate admission's application package. In order for us to provide this funding package, we will not be offering across the board distribution of U of T Open monies to all graduate students for 2016-17.
For further information on this program, please contact Rosalie Pang (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Graham L. Collingridge, FRS, FMedSci, FRSB, FBPhS
Ernest B. and Leonard B. Smith Chair
Department of Physiology